SAFETY RULES & CONDUCT
A. PERSONAL SAFETY AND CONDUCT
- Do not enter or work in the laboratory
unless a teacher is present.
- Unauthorised experiments, work,
and preparations are not allowed!
Know and follow the specified procedures for each
- Safety goggles must be worn
at all times.
- Horseplay, pranks, and other
acts of mischief are strictly forbidden.
- Report to your teacher or lab
technician immediately of any breakage, injury,
spill or fire.
- Know the location and use of
all safety equipment in your laboratory.
- Food, drinks, and sweets are
not allowed anywhere in the labs at any time.
- Long hair or loose hair must
- Keep your work space clean,
organised and dry.
- Always read and think about
each laboratory assignment before starting.
- Never look directly down into
a test tube; view the contents from the side.
- Never point the open end of a
test toward yourself or your neighbour.
- Never use inflammable liquids
near a naked flame.
- Never leave an ongoing experiment
- Before leaving the laboratory,
ensure that all Bunsen burners, gas taps and water
taps are turned off.
- Wash your hands and arms with
soap and water before you leave the lab - even if
you have been wearing gloves.
in doubt, ask!
B. CHEMICAL MAINTENANCE AND
remove chemicals from the labs or stockrooms without
- Read labels carefully.
- Label all containers to avoid
- Check all glassware for cracks
before using it. Do not taste anything chemicals,
including water. If instructed to smell a chemical,
do so by carefully fanning the top of
test tube or bottle so that a little of the vapour
is directed towards your nose.
- To avoid contamination, NEVER
put your contaminated dropper into the reagent bottle
and NEVER return unused chemicals to their bottle.
- Do not waste chemicals. Try
to dispense only what will be needed. Share any excess.
Dispose of excess chemicals in appropriate waste containers.
- Clean up small spills immediately.
Report all spills to the teacher and request for
assistance with larger spills.
- All glassware and sinks must
be washed after use.
- Return equipment and chemicals
to their designated locations.
every chemical as if it were hazardous!
Copyright © 2001 Crescent Girls' School,
ASKnLearn.com Pte Ltd.
All rights reserved.